baslinux - [BL] BL2 networking with Win9

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 networking with Win9
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:33:15 +0000 (UTC)

Continued from September, when we tried to transfer files between WinXP and BL3 via network cable after transferring camera photos to XP via USB. (No USB on the laptop and we did not take the parport zip drive).

While testing a dead router with no wireless signal, I tried using it as a hub and it is also dead for wired signals, but in the process I confirmed that the working Linksys router with built-in hub works with both linux and Win98. I have three combo ethernet modem cards, one with dead ethernet and two with dead modem, but if you have one that works you would
specify the manfid or version (product info) on the second line after card name, then bind "pcnet_cs", "serial_cs" (for a pcnet_cs model).

I stuck the pcnet_cs card (with dead modem) into Win98 and it loaded the drivers automatically, no 18MB download as for the cardbus wireless Linksys. I plugged into the working router and ran from a DOS box ipconfig, which assigned me a leased IP address 192.168.1.101 with gateway/dns (router) 192.168.1.1, and I could ping either one, or ping 192.168.1.0 and it would ping both alternately.

I stuck another pcmcia ethernet card into the linux laptop, booted with the wrong kernel and did pcmcia start, and could not run udhcpc (I need to recompile it with something changed to match Steven's kernels, also to work with loop linux) but I could ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102. If I rebooted with 2.2.26 I could run udhcpc which gave the same results. ping 192.168.1.0 pinged all three IP addresses successfully. BL2 Ping only tells me they are alive, not the details (older busybox, or compiled differently).

I then tried the telnetd in busybox110 which I had compiled, and it would not run in BL3 without /bin/login.

Rebooted into BL2 (wrong kernel again) and pcmcia'd (sometimes I need to reboot when it stops finding the sockets too) and ifconfig'ed and pinged as a test. Then ran busybox 1.1.10 telnetd in /root on linux.

With Opera, I telnetted to 192.168.1.102 and was asked to login. Root login not allowed (I would need to edit /etc/securetty adding ttyp0 etc to allow root login, on vt1 etc.). Then I tried logging in as user, and it logged me in without a password, said there was no /home and put me into /, where I could write a test program with pico and save it. I cannot run zgv as user on either computer (zgv is permitted but svgalib needed something changed having to do with superusers?). If I type mutt as user in Win98 it starts making loud noises.

I did not try this online because I did not have ipchains to make a firewall on the linux computer while running telnetd.

httpd in busybox (run from the directory where I want to serve files with no options, just defaults) loaded but did not serve the directory. 404 not found. Has anyone used it with BL?

So I got mini_httpd.tar.gz which was compiled for BL and it allows me to access linux from Win98 and move files to Win98. I then installed Windows Internet Tools Personal Web Server but Win98 still has no httpd.

I will go find an ftpd from Slackware.

With luck people will let me add my own pcmcia network card to their laptop and load default software for it, but I doubt they want kermit added, or any demons.

We have a Networking for Dummies that includes Windows 2000 and 'Linux 6.2'.