baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:00:19 +0000 (UTC)

I have heard of "over-clocking" and added fans and custom heat
sinks and such. Those are for the game players and video file
sharers and so forth for whom downloading the mostest the fastest
is a mark of accomplishment.

I too have no interest in that crap.

Lee

We were given an overclocked AMD board with three loud fans on the cpu, in a special unit that plugs in the Tyan board and lets you change the speed after taking the case off the cpu itself. Apparently AMD could not keep up with the demand for slower processors so sold some that were high enough quality to run at higher speeds, in packages set to run at lower speeds. The higher speeds run hotter and are said to shorten the life of a cpu. We have never worn out a cpu, but then we never play video games.

This computer is extremely loudk, but runs at 700MHz instead of 600Mhz. At one time it was cheaper to buy the conversionn kit than a faster cpu. We are hoping someone will give us a plain 600MHz cpu that is quieter (only one fan).