baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:44:33 -0800

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:38:05AM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > So Steven, how is it that I can use my USB rat* with
> > the stock BL3 setup
>
> Your mouse works with the default BL3?

Yes. And the keyboard. Both are USB.

> > but am having so much trouble using it with the
> > newer kernel
>
> Which newer kernel?

2.4.19

> > and all of those USB support modules?
>
> I have no USB hardware. I neither know nor care much
> about USB. I have not tested the USB modules and make
> no claim about whether they work or not. I simply
> compiled the modules that were there. So far everything
> I have tried on my hardware works fine.

For me too, with the default (or 'big') BL3 kernel. But they have
no support for my low-profile, multi-port serial card, which has
been the challenge here, as you know.

So I need to get a USB serial port or an older computer. I like
the latter choice better, because right now I have all of my eggs
in one basket. Only one computer. And using an older computer
sounds much more interesting.

I don't like USB either, but when I got this rig, I didn't know
anything.

The time is coming when you'll _have_ to deal with USB, right?
All of the computers produced in the last N years have it.

Most people would consider the computer I'm using now, which
I got about 5 years ago, to be old.

Lee