baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:33:33 -0800

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:48:03PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
[delete]
> >Indeed. Although it has been a very dependable machine. The only
> >thing I have had to do is recently replace the power supply
> >because the fan went bad.
>
> My partner just replaces the fan, not the power supply. We have lots of
> extra fans from old power supplies that he solders in place. Much cheaper
> and less wasteful of resources.

In a culture as super-materialistic as this one, such things are petty
beyond consideration.

What's the point of reducing your ecological footprint by .000000001%?

There is no way a culture like this one can ever be Earth-Friendly.

To pretend so is just foolishness. It is _based_ on excessive
trading in material things.

It isn't a good system being mismanaged, it is rotten from its
foundations.

> Most people would replace the computer if the fan went bad, along with
> with Windows, or replace it all if the drive filled up.

Yes. And that wastefulness means that people will have jobs making
new stuff, and disposing of the old stuff, who wouldn't otherwise
have them.

> Our best laptop came to us with a dead drive (and some other problems that
> did not bother them in BIOS).
>
> >(The CPU is passively cooled, so I keep the cover off and just
> >rest an open manila folder on the top to keep the dust out.)
>
> We never had any overheating problems with enclosed Gateways. They are
> designed to route the coolest air past the cpu, I think.
>
> >>Did Debian ever compile anything for you?
> >
> >Oh yes. I built many different 2.4.19 kernels with it.
> >Using the same sources.
>
> So it should be easy for you to build another on David M's model config.
> I asked him to help determine why my kernels never work with udhcpc but
> his and Steven's do. Might be something simple like CONFIG_UDHCPC=&

Sure.

> >That's why its failure now so baffling.
> But easily fixed. Congrats on everything working now, or nearly so.
>
> I just got Win98 networked to BL2 and I can telnet from Windows to use
> linux programs as user, with ability to save files in /. Exciting.

Yeh. Fun.

But I really despise windows. Ever see this?:

Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a
visit. As we were talking I mentioned that I had recently
installed Windows XP on my PC. I told him how happy I was with
this operating system and showed him the Windows XP CD. To my
surprise he threw it into my microwave oven and turned it on.

Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to
me, but he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.'

After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and
said: 'Take a close look at it.'

To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to
be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but
on the inner edge of the central hole I saw an inscription, an
inscription finer than anything I had ever seen before. The
inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of
a great depth:

12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE820945092OF923A40EElO
E5IOCC98D444AA08E324

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said in a timid voice.

'No but I can,' he said. 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient
mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not
utter here. But in common English this is what it says:

One OS to rule them all,
One OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.

It is only two lines from a verse long known in System lore:

Three OS's from corporate kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.

One OS to rule them all,
one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.'

:-)

Lee