baslinux - Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:17:42 -0800

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:30:03PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> A friend just paid $50 for a laptop for his 9 year old and wondered if it
> were new enough to do email! I promised him a 28.8K modem and BL3. He
> wants to be sure she cannot view porn, so we could put on a text only
> browser and maybe webmail, unless Lee wants to set up a script even a 9
> year old can use for POP mail. We also have 60 DOS games that teach you
> to type and add etc.

A script for retrieving mail from a popserver with basic authentication
(no SSL/TLS, etc.) is easy enough. Append each mail to an mbox.

A 3-year old could use it. After filling in the variable
arguments at the top of the script (server name, user name, password),
it would just be a matter of aliasing the script to "fm" (for fetchmail)
It would use netcat.

But what mail client are you going to use? Seems like mail/mailx
(50K or so) would be a good choice. But it's pretty basic. It
won't handle MIME or attachments or anything like that. Not
without some serious help.

I guess you could use that SMTP script of mine to send the mail off
to their ISP's MTA, if only basic authentication is required.
(often, none is)

I don't know sylpheed, but if it does everyhing above, and can
deal with attachments and such, it is a better choice.

Lee