baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 bare.i as gateway to internet, was Re: NFS on BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 bare.i as gateway to internet, was Re: NFS on BL3
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:01:56 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> What do I change in my 2.4.31 kernel so the ipchains firewall
> business will work

The minimum is:
--------------------
CONFIG_FIREWALL
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE
--------------------
See section 3.1.1 of the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO for full list
of recommended configs. (You will find it in the /docs
directory of your Slackware 7.1 CDrom.)

> will it still fit on floppy disk?

Yes.

> Apart from the pcmcia config lines, do I do anything else
> extra for wireless networking?

No (as long as you specify the correct options for your
wireless card). Once the wireless NIC is activated, the
configuration is exactly the same as a wired NIC.

> With both wireless and wired cards in the laptop (gateway),
> is it still just one ifconfig eth0 line for both?

No. The first NIC activated will be eth0. The second will
be eth1. Each gets its own ifconfig. Each gets a different
address. Each is on a different network. I suggest you use
192.168.1.x for your local (wired) network. The address for
your wireless card must be on the same network that your
neighbor's wireless card is on (get the numbers from him).

The computer with two NICs will bridge the two networks
and route traffic from one to the other.