baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 bare.i as gateway to internet, was Re: NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 bare.i as gateway to internet, was Re: NFS on BL3
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:11:56 +0000 (UTC)

For an hour or so I could not access any thing online with any OS. Then I investigated with nettamer, and ping worked there and now it is working again on both my computers, as is ssh, and I am dialed in on the other computer and online with this one.

I could use ssh on vt1 together with links graphical svgalib on vt2.
Let's try X and opera.
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Now I am back at the dialed-in computer because when I tried to use xfbdev (rivafb) from vt2 and then switch back to vt1 the screen went funny colors and I tried to exit and got 'Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000' etc., and now I can switch VTs but not type anything onscreen.
Cold reboot
--------
Same problem when not connected to the other computer. Exit xfbdev before switching vts. Colored screen this time, lots of call traces last time, won't warm reboot. Cold rebooted again. (This computer won't warm reboot right anyway, tries to boot from floppy drive only).

insmod, ifconfig, route...

Ping worked. X_SVGA. Loaded Opera, accessed a URL. Switched terminals.

This works perfectly (except for xfbdev).

What do I change in my 2.4.31 kernel so the ipchains firewall business will work and how much bigger does it make the kernel (will it still fit on floppy disk?)? (I will also add the three nfs drivers in the kernel).

Apart from the pcmcia config lines, do I do anything else extra for wireless networking? With both wireless and wired cards in the laptop (gateway), is it still just one ifconfig eth0 line for both? Cable to the desktop with just one wired ethernet card.

Thanks, Sindi

For the last half hour ping (busybox BL2, 1.01, and 1.10 won't work even
on the computer which did the dialing, with BL3 'big' kernel, BL2 bare.i,
BL2 2.4.31, on two computers, using a variety of DNS numbers. I can
connect but I can't ping even the numbers of the DNS servers, or telnet,
or get anywhere with links. I can dial the local bbs (I tried their three
DNS numbers too) and ssh to freeshell. Ssh and telnet and ping and links
work at grex or freeshell, but not on my computers.

I can ping my own computer at 192.168.1.2, the networked computer, and my
assigned local IP address.

What tools does BL have to figure out this problem?

Things worked properly a few hours ago, but a couple of days ago I had the
same problem (on a third computer, where Win98 would not ping anything)
which disappeared by itself. There must be something wrong in the
region, but what?