baslinux - Re: [BL] IPv6 and BL (gmail and procmail)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] IPv6 and BL (gmail and procmail)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:39:38 -0800

I received the message from Samual I'm replying to on the list!

Let the cheers echo through valley and dale!!!!

Good work, Steven. Muchas gracias.

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:48:34PM -0600, Samual Acorn wrote:
> On 06/12/06, Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:25:57PM -0600, Samual Acorn wrote:
> >> gmails spam filter would show these messages in the 'bulk mail'
> >folder....
> >>
> >> i guess i should note here that you wont see your own email sent to
> >> this mailing list (or any other for that matter) in the inbox until
> >> someone replys to it... thats how gmail has always worked...
> >
> >That's bizarre (and stupid). Are you sure? Anyway, I've yet to
> >receive a single mail from myself to the list at gmail. Not in
> >the "spam" or "trash" folders either.
> >
> >They make it to others on the list and the archives, but not
> >here, though I get everyone else's posts to the list.

> it may seem 'bizarre' but it doesnt seem stupid to me... it keeps from
> redundancy... why have the same email in both the sent mail and inbox?

Because it's a mailing list. Threaded conversations. It's not storage
for mail from a single person, but a group. And I'm part of that group.

And I'm pretty sure the google admins have heard of symlinks.

> also gmail wont say your name but show you as 'me' when a reply comes
> back...

This came back and I don't see that.

> or.. lets say i sent an email to this list ment for lets say, sindi...
> until she or someone else replys to it the only place it will be is in
> 'sent mail' then when i get a reply i will have a new message in my
> inbox saying it was from "me, sindi" (and/or whoever else replied)...
> the original email will show but -only- after someone replies and it
> will be 'collapsed' under the new message (click the subject of it and
> it will pop out) and will only show as being from "me"... not my
> name...
>
> yes its a bit odd... but i like it *shrugs*

I don't. I want to see the whole thread as it is.

And it doesn't look it works that way. I received the post
you replied to here on the list.

If someone doesn't reply, I want to know that. They could be
sick or something. Or the message was inappropriate and I should
note that it was cold-shouldered.

I've figured out a way to use procmail to filter outgoing mail
and append a copy of any mail to the list to my list mailbox
here. If a duplicate shows up I'll just delete it.

This is in my gmail muttrc:
set sendmail="/usr/bin/procmail /home/forrest/.procmailrc-outgoing"

This is the body of .procmailrc-outgoing. It has standard procmail
environment headers:

---------
#If it's to the list, pipe it through formail to format for
#mbox and append to list mailbox
#"c" send a copy to the next recipe

:0 c
* ^To: baslinux@lists\.ibiblio\.org
| formail >> /home/forrest/Mail/baslinux

#pipe the copy (and any other mail) to my utility that sends my
#mail to gmail's MTA

:0
| /usr/bin/msmtp -C /home/forrest/.msmtprc-gmail -t

# anything else, which should be nothing, to my default mailbox
# this could help catch problems

:0
${DEFAULT}

Doesn't look like I'll need it, though.