baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 03:55:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I've been doing some work on one of my old laptops and needed
some extra workspace, so I fed it a network filesystem (NFS)
from my desktop. Here's how:

Does this mean you can access all the files on the desktop from your laptop?

Step 1 - Establish a TCP/IP network between the two computers
activate the network cards on both computers (insmod)
assign address to each card (ifconfig)
check the connection (ping)

I have done this for file transfer purposes.

Step 2 - Activate NFS server
edit /etc/exports ---> / client_address(rw)
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

I don't understand what you did here. Do you put four lines in /etc/exports that look like the above four lines? Or put one line in the exports and type the next three lines CLI?

The server is the desktop?

Step 3 - Activate NFS client
insmod sunrpc (not needed for bzimage.big)
insmod lockd (not needed for bzimage.big)
insmod nfs (not needed for bzimage.big)
rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs server_address:/ /mnt

Does this mount all the files on the desktop to /mnt on the laptop?

Please note that both the NFS server and client run happily
on the default BL3 kernel. Three modules are required for
the client (but not the server) when the default kernel is
used. When the big kernel is used, no modules are required
for the client.