baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 games for children

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 games for children
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:26:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

In addition to Steven's games, I would like to add some
more to a BL3.40 computer for 5 young neighbors, ages 3-10.

Please take a look and recommend which ones are for children,

Slackware 4.0: /slakware/y1/bsdgames.tgz
Slackware 4.0: /slakware/xap1/xgames.tgz

y1 contains also koules (needs sound), sasteroids (syntax error of ")" for "(" or vice versa, won't load), and lizards, which loads (after I set up svgalib with chipset unspecified - it crashed with vesa or even vga).
But the cursors do not do anything.

xgames -
xmahjongg wants a tile font and won't load
xroach won't load, does not say why

xvier and xlander and maze and spider appear to work but the instructions are not something kids would understand and are also in man format. (I could change to html and add a way to view the html in the icewm menu). I will let them play with these anyway.

xsnow snows - is there supposed to be user input too?

xpaint loads (it needed libXaW as did spider) but does not draw. Why?

Steven's programs come with simpler instructions, but castlemaze did not point out that you can 'jump' and 'climb' up or down, just 'go' east west north south. I managed to die with 0 points by jumping out of a tree.
THis will be good typing and reading practice for the kids. Is there a linux typing tutor or math program for libc5?

I might add fractals.

the bsdgames package is too large for floppy disk so I have to transfer via parport zip disk or download it directly (at 28.8K) because our SW4.0 CD is defective in that directory. It contains a lot of small programs and I hope they can figure out some of them on their own.

Time to plug in the phone line.