baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig illegal instruction on 386ex

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig illegal instruction on 386ex
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:16:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Do you want anything other than networking tested on a 386?

No, AFAIK the only issue is ifconfig (and perhaps ping).

Can I test networking with the 2-floppy BL3 if I add my
own 3c509.o?

Yes. I don't think the ne module is the issue --
it appears to be the ifconfig (and ping).

Is DLINK ne?

Probably not.

We had to up the RAM from 4MB to 16MB or it got stuck at the uncompressing image line of the first disk. Does the FD BL3.40 need 8MB RAM to boot and 12MB for X? 4MB is used for ramdisk, and I think 8MB if available and the remaining 4MB or more to operate in.

9K of 3c509.o fits on disk2. Please include it in the next BL if possible. Most of our ISA cards are 3com 3c509. You set them with a DOS configuration program 3c509.exe (or com?) to your choice of BNC/AUI/RJ, address, and IRQ, and they stay that way and you don't need to specify address during insmod. I used a BNC/AUI model.

insmod /fd/3c509.o

It told me:
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300....IRQ7 (about 2 lines of text)

ifconfig eth0 192.169.1.1

Illegal instruction

ping 192.168.1.1

Illegal instruction

This computer has a 33MHz bus 386SLC cpu and currently no 387 in it.

I presume the busybox commands oversimplified hardware calls.