baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig illegal instruction on 386ex

  • From: Rainer Desor <renkaba AT gmx.de>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig illegal instruction on 386ex
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:09:26 +0200

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:03:58 +1200, <3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

Thanks for the help, I finally solved the problem. But nevertheless I will give the answers

Please tell us:
(1) exactly what command you used to load 8390.o

insmod 8390

(2) was there any error message?

no

(3) exactly what command you used to load ne.o

insmod ne io=0x300 irq=0x9

(4) what message did you get?

something like : ethernet card found at io=0x300 with irq=0x9

Is that an NE2000-compatible card? ISA?

ISA, ne2000 compatible

That probably means you have no eth0 (i.e. you did not
correctly insmod the drivers for the network card) or
there is a hardware problem with the card.

no hardware problem since it works with DOS

Now the solution :

I installed ifconfig and ping from Slackware 4.0. With "ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress>" and after installing /etc/protocols from elsewhere ping worked too (before I got from ping : unknown protocol icmp).

So my conclusion : problem with busybox. I don't know which other commands will not work. Does anybody know for which processor/library it is compiled?

BTW, is /etc/protocols only missing on my system? I wonder why nobody else seems to have my problems.

Bye,

Rainer

--
Rainer Desor / Bovenden / Germany