baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 05:41:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I just remembered that xpdf package includes:
pdftops
pdftoppm
These are non-X programs.

Does that mean your pdf problem is fixed?
Instead of using X to run xpdf 3.1, you convert
them to ps/ppm and use a ps/ppm viewer instead?

Yes, but I have not tried this yet. I should not be learning linux at 1:30 am.

Make that ps or ppm viewer (bmv or zgv).

I just checked out your non-wm method of running X programs.
Useful for low RAM situations.

I have 96MB RAM on this computer (16MB on the laptop).
icewm, rxvt and xinit take up 2% of this (about 2MB)
Xvesa takes up 1.2% when used with icewm, at 800x600x15

Xvesa takes up 1.0% when used without icewm, at 1024x768x15
(Xvesa -screen 1024x768x15);DISPLAY=:0 $1 $2

I chmodded this and called it x. sleep 1 was not needed on this computer - maybe on something slower with less RAM.

x xv file.jpg

xv and xli both use up 2.8% of memory.

So I can view in X with icewm and xli or xv with 6% of RAM (5.7MB).
With Xvesa but no xinit/icewm/rxvt 4% = about 4MB RAM

Yes I know the rxvt can be avoided by using the menu, but it is only .4%.
About 5.3MB to view with xli by the conventional setup, less with swm instead of icewm.

With zgv 1.3% = 1.2MB RAM.

This is a small 40K image. A large one could take up more RAM, as could higher resolution.