baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:29:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 15 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL3.40 with glibc 2.2.5 (SW8.1)

xv (Slackware 7.1) from BL2.

It would have been better to use the xv from Slackware 4.0.

The X libraries that I added are from SW7.1

It would have been better to add the BL3 X-library package.
I can add that on top of what I have to replace it, right?
And get xv from SW4.0.

but libX11.so.6.1 is the one that came with BL3.40

That's libc5. So now you've got a mixture of glibc2
X libraries and libc5 X libraries. That's not good.

Should I replace the BL3.40 libX11.so.6.1 with the SW7.1
libX11.so.6.1,

That would be better.

Also libXext?

Assuming that your current libXext is libc5, then yes it
would be better to use a libXext that is consisten with
your other X libraries.

At present I have your libX11.so.6.1 and libXext.so.6.3 and the other four libraries from SW7.1, so do I replace xv with SW4.0 xv binary (there are four other binaries such as bggen but I don't use them) and install your Xlibs package? I can also put back libXpm.so.4.3 instead of 4.11.

(It was easier to copy from BL2 than find the SW4.0 CD).

The latest xpdf contains all statically compiled binaries, so why is xpdf
having problems in BL3? The complaint was, I think, about libX11.so.6.
(I can't get BL3.40 startx to work correctly while chrooted so can't check right now. There is no prompt at the xterm and there is some message about /bin/bash. Xvesa, Xsetup.).

SW4.0 Ghostscript won't read pdf 1.5 (in use for the past few years) and is much larger.

Please check if xpdf works for you in BL3.40. xpdf is 2MB (as is the zipped version), the package for xpdf and CLI programs 4.5MB. I could post just xpdf if that would help.

I might wait to hear about xpdf, before replacing my four libX* libraries from SW7.1 with ones from SW4.0, in case I need to have all SW7.1 X libraries to run xpdf. I think it was libX11.so.6 that it complained about - maybe the static version it was built with can't find something it wants when running the libc5 X?

Or save backup copies of the SW7.1 X libraries in case xpdf needs them.

BTW why are you installing xv? Is xli (already in BL3)
not good enough?

xv does more and we wanted to learn to use it. But netpbm probably does most of the same things. I asked my partner what he wanted on there. I have your mc for BL and SW7.1 gpm (which finds all its libraries and does not complain when I type 'gpm'). I thought since I had done a glibc 2.2.5
upgrade I could just copy over SW7.1 binaries from BL2.

I also put on David's zgv 1.4.3 as a non-X viewer, which uses less RAM.
One laptop has 16MB.

Is there some file that tells X where to look for fonts?

/etc/XF86Config

I borrowed XF86Config from BL3 and things may be in different locations. I will try to fix it. Thanks.