baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:17:39 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> Did you find a way to make SWflash work with a later
> libX11.so.6, in BL3?

Yes. I installed more up-to-date X libraries (a full set).
Both SWflash and the new xpdf worked, but all the old X
binaries failed (including xinit). It was no longer
possible to boot X using startx.

> If I replace only libX11.so.6 with the one from SW7.1

No, if you replace one X library, you should replace the
full set.

> maybe I can get away with just replacing libX11so.6

No.

> or having another version of it at which I somehow point xpdf

ldd shows you that xpdf looks for libX11.so.6

), but how do I start xpdf without an rxvt or icewm,

Permanent fix: use a glibc2 version of rxvt, icewm, xinit, etc.

Temporary fix: (Xvesa &);sleep 1;DISPLAY=:0 xpdf file.pdf

> I notice they have the same names. libX11.so.6.1 from
> SW4.0 and 7.1

I noticed that too. It's a real pain.

> There was at least one other X package such as xlib.tgz needed.

xpdf also needs xfnts.tgz

> We were lucky with Opera.

Yes, I think the Opera people are more careful about
maintaining compatibility with older PCs and older libs.

> Is it worth making an alternate set of libraries and binaries
> for those of us who want to switch from the libc5 to a later X?

No. Users who are less constrained by hardware and who
need up-to-date software, should probably use BL2. BL3
is designed for users who are constrained by low RAM,
small HD and/or slow CPU.

> I was hoping to just point xpdf at one font

Perhaps the xpdf documentation might help you.