baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:37:55 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> So it pkg'ed x-libs.tgz.
> xv now works perfectly

I assume that is the xv from Slackware 4.0.

> But xpdf also still complains about libX11.so.6:

I assume that is a glibc2 version of xpdf
(i.e. your xpdf is not from Slackware 4.0)

> libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: _xstat.

That's the same error that stops SWflash working
on the BL3 X libraries.

> Does xpdf need a newer libX11?

The xpdf in Slackware 4.0 does not need newer X libraries.
However, if you are using a different xpdf, then its
library dependencies will depend on how it was compiled.

> It works in BL2 with SW7.1 X libraries.

Those X libraries are glibc2. The BL3 X libraries are
libc5.

> If I replace libX11.so.6, should I replace all the X libraries

Yes, definitely. All the X libraries should be compatible
with each other. However, replacing the BL3 X libraries
will probably kill all the dynamic X binaries that came
with BL3, including xinit (startx).

Please note: I am not talking about the BL3 x-libs.tgz
package. That works smoothly with BL3 and does not kill
anything. What Sindi is talking about is replacing the
BL3 X libraries with X libraries from a later Slackware.
This is not recommended. BL3 is designed to work with
packages from Slackware 4.0. Packages from more up-to-date
Slackwares are unlikely to work (and may cause malfunctions
by over-writing crucial BL3 components).

> with X libraries from Slackware 7.1 or even 9.0 or would
> the libc5 X programs that come with BL3.40 no longer work?

The libc5 X programs would no longer work. Unlike the
libraries in /lib (where libc5 and glibc2 libraries
coexist quite happily), the newer X libraries overwrite
the old (in /usr/X11R6/lib).

> If newer libX11 etc. fixes xpdf,

They don't fix xpdf. xpdf (from Slackware 4.0) works
fine with the existing libs. What you are trying to
do is use a version of xpdf that was compiled for newer
libs. Naturally, it needs those new libs to function
properly.

> maybe you could also post a SW7.1 or 9.0 x-libs.tgz package.

It's not just the X libs, you also need compatible X binaries
(eg xinit). In the Slackware x directory you will find the
xbin.tgz package. It contains the base libraries and binaries
for X. If you want to experiment with X from a more-to-date
Slackware (at your own risk), then you could try installing
the xbin.tgz package.

> I don't want to experiment since at present it is only xpdf
> that does not work in BL3.40.

Then I suggest you use xpdf from Slackware 4.0.

> You were experimenting with Flash and later X libraries.

Yes, SWflash requires a more up-to-date X library (unlike
Opera which works fine with the BL3 x-libs package).

> and nothing else got broken with the later X libraries?

Nearly everything got broken -- xinit (startx), xterm,
icewm, MagicPoint, etc. The only X binaries that worked
were Xvesa (statically compiled) and Opera (with SWflash).

> Perhaps someone could compile xpdf to work with the
> BL3.40 (SW4.0) X libraries.

Once again I will say for the benefit of people reading
this: there is a version of xpdf (from Slackware 4.0)
that works fine in BL3. What Sindi wants is the very
latest version.

> Other X programs might also be looking for Courier.

BL3 comes with a minimal set of fonts. Users who need
more fonts should install the xfnts.tgz package from
the /slakware/x1 directory of Slackware 4.0.

> I hope some day you can make a completely uClibc BL so
> we don't need two libc's

BL3 does not need two libc's. With just one libc
(the built-in libc5) you can run all the BL3 add-ons
plus you can install packages from Slackware 4.0.

> and can just add glibc2 from SW9.0 if we want to use
> precompiled programs from Slackware.

That's two libc's (uClibc and glibc2). Pre-compiled
binaries for uClibc are nearly non-existent, so most
users would be forced to add the second libc (glibc2).
A completely uClibc BL would actually be worse, not
better.