baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:05:07 +0000 (UTC)

The latest xpdf contains all statically compiled binaries, so why is xpdf
having problems in BL3? The complaint was, I think, about libX11.so.6.
(I can't get BL3.40 startx to work correctly while chrooted so can't check
right now. There is no prompt at the xterm and there is some message
about /bin/bash. Xvesa, Xsetup.).

I have X working correctly in BL3.40 in another computer where I had not added any libraries other than the ones needed by Opera (which were libc5 version, I think, but smaller than the ones in x-libs.tgz - SW3.1 instead of 4.0?).

I replaced the SW7.1 with the SW4.0 xv binary.
I downloaded x-libs.tgz for BL3.40 but before installing the 800K (zipped) of Xlibs I tried xpdf again.

It appears to need libXmu, it complained about
xpdf: error while loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

So it pkg'ed x-libs.tgz.

xv now works perfectly (though I should increase X resolution).
xpdf now tells me:

Error: No display font for 'Courier" (and similarly for about 10-10 other fonts).

In BL2 I installed the 75 dpi fonts packages but I would prefer to display with xpdf using one single font for all the ones they listed. What file would I modify to do this, assuming Bl3 comes with a scalable font.

But xpdf also still complains about libX11.so.6:
xpdf: relocation error: libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: _xstat.

Does xpdf need a newer libX11? It works in BL2 with SW7.1 X libraries.

If I replace libX11.so.6, should I replace all the X libraries (the ones in x-libs.tgz and the ones that came with Bl3.40 and icewm) with X libraries from Slackware 7.1 (xpdf works with them in BL2) or even 9.0 or would the libc5 X programs that come with BL3.40 no longer work?

If newer libX11 etc. fixes xpdf, maybe you could also post a SW7.1 or 9.0 x-libs.tgz package. SW7.1 libX11.so.6.1 is about 200K larger, libXt about 30K larger, too big for the floppy disk BL but should be no problem on hard drive.

I don't want to experiment since at present it is only xpdf that does not work in BL3.40. I don't want to break everything else. You were experimenting with Flash and later X libraries. If you still have that setup could you please check if xpdf works and nothing else got broken with the later X libraries?

Perhaps someone could compile xpdf to work with the BL3.40 (SW4.0) X libraries. http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/xpdf-3.01.tar.gz 600K

Then there is the problem of not finding Courier etc. font. It can use Type1 Truetype or regular X fonts. The precompiled xpdf for glibc 2.2 is statically linked to Motif, t1lib, and FreeType.

BL3.40 has a /100dpi directory with Type1 symlinked to it and one .pfb font - would this work with xpdf and a fonts.alias? Or could I copy over one font from BL2 /75dpi to somewhere in BL3.40 and make fonts.alias?

Other X programs might also be looking for Courier.

My partner low-level formatted our 1.3GB laptop drive that would not partition and says it is working okay now, but I prefer to keep linux smaller than that and not add several megabytes of fonts packages and possibly mess up BL3 X in the process.

Opera is still working with these replacement X libraries.

SW4.0 Ghostscript won't read pdf 1.5 (in use for the past few years) and
is much larger.

Please check if xpdf works for you in BL3.40. xpdf is 2MB (as is the
zipped version), the package for xpdf and CLI programs 4.5MB. I could
post just xpdf if that would help.

I don't think you need anything but that one file to test with.

I hope some day you can make a completely uClibc BL so we don't need two libc's and can just add glibc2 from SW9.0 if we want to use precompiled programs from Slackware.

I am off to replace my BL3 XF86Config with the correct one for BL2.
(Or fix the line about fonts location).