baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: kilar <kilar AT wt.net>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:44:15 +0000 (UTC)

My kernel works fine with USB (if you push the cable in all the way) but insmod i82365: unresolved symbol pm_unregister_ad (-at?)
unresolved symbol pm_register

I tried the bare.i kernel which is also CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
insmod i82365: unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev.

I did not compile with pnp support - should I? Do I need APM power management too?

Which Slackware 10.2 kernel would work better with PCMCIA?

I then tried three more PCMCIA cards with BL3.40 and kernel 2.2.26 which also did not work.

1.
Gateway 2000 Telepath modem - could not adjust resource.
cardmgr tells me product info "Gateway 2000" "3CXM356" "Telepath 3CXM356 wtih X2". This model is not in the big config file.

Card "Gateway 2000 Telepath Fax Modem" is a 3com Megahertz
Google/linux tells me it is a 33K winmodem. One down.

2. EXP Multimedia card identifies itself in Socket 1 as
EXP CD940 CD-ROM, insmod ide-cs.o (I set up config to bind this)
ide-cs: ide-register at 0x138&0x3ee irq3 failed
get dev info on socket 1 failed. No such device.
This is probably one of the cards that is NOT linux compatible.

3. Dell 3com 100Mbit ethernet card labelled on the back '3C575BT' which probably (if it is like the B) uses 3c575_cb. I do not have the modules in config or on the computer. Cardmgr tells me: Ethernet card 100MBit - unsupported card type detected socket 0. Cardbus hotplug device. Could not adjust resource.

This card induced DamnSmallLinux to insert 3c59x, and a 100Mbit Netgear card caused it to insert crc32 and tulip, but those are for PCI ethernet cards not PCMCIA. DSL may have goofed.

When I compiled my kernel I don't think I said Y to hotplug, but this is Steven's kernel. Does it need to be recompiled to support this newer ethernet card (100MBit) that is Cardbus (some newer standard mentioned in the PCMCIA package README)? Or can I just insert that module (via USB card reader)? Steven did not test anything ending in _cb.

I am lucky our first PCMCIA cards were older and supported.

I already tested three older cards with 2.2.26 (CF adaptor, 28.8K and slower modems, 10MBit ethernet card) and they all work with BL3.40.
I may hunt around for a second 10MBit card and trade the 33K Winmodem for a 28.8K linux modem.