baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:49:25 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> The kernels I already compiled have CONFIG_PCMCIA=N. I will recompile
> with CONFIG_PCMCIA=M. Trying to sort out your double-negative, do you
> mean I should recompile my kernel with PCMCIA as modules, and use
> precompiled modules from that package? (As well as recompiling the
> modules from my new config, since I will be leaving out a lot of things
> like sound and framebuffer and most scsi support).

You can either set CONFIG_PCMCIA=M in kernel (and use the kernel
modules) or set CONFIG_PCMCIA=N (and 'make' in pcmcia-cs will
build modules from the pcmcia package).

> Does the package
> contain pcmcia source code AND modules?

Yes.

> Normally you only build modules if you DO enable modules. But the
> instructions in the package match yours. I am confused (TM).

pcmcia-cs contains its own modules, but it will _not_ build them if
you have already enabled the integrated Linux modules.

> >> Do I really need to use cardmgr from the pcmcia package or can I use the
> >> one from Slackware 7.1 that works with BL2.1 and kernel 2.2.16?
>
> > I bet that there are so many changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels that
> > you cannot use the old cardmgr.
>
> But I can't use the new cardmgr without a new glibc and I don't want
> to install a new glibc because it is larger and really not suitable for a
> computer with 16MB RAM.

SW10.2 cardmgr only requires SW81 or better glibc. cardctl will
work with SW91 glibc, which is smaller than SW81 glibc.

> Can I use pcmcia modules WITHOUT cardmgr, manually inserting and removing
> them? insmod pcmciacore_cs.o insmod ds.o insmod i3865.o (?sp) insmod
> serial_cs.o etc.?

Why? AFAIK cardmgr is needed to tell the PCMCIA slot about the driver.

David