baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:59:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

There is also a pcmcia-cs package in SW10.2 - can I use that instead if I
don't have brand-new hardware,

Certainly, but you will obviously need to install SW10.2 glibc for cardmgr
if you use the precompiled SW10.2 binary.

I want to keep using cardmgr from SW71 if possible.

for compilation (I think for any kernel). I need to make config for the
kernel (answering Y or M to PCMCIA things that are in the kernel source
code) and then I unpack the pcmcia package to /usr/src/linux-2.4.31 (where
I have the kernel source already) and make config for that.

Where do you see that? I thought that it was supposed to work by unpacking
the pcmcia package anywhere and then doing Configure and make in the
pcmcia package. This would build a dynamic cardmgr for the libc in /lib and
also build modules, if you haven't already built them with the kernel source,
but it needs to find the kernel source code, probably in
/lib/modules/VERSION/build or /usr/src/linux.

Kernel source code is in /usr/src/linux-2.4.31 to which I symlinked /usr/src/linux and then symlinked /lib/modules/2.4.31/build to that.

make bzImage and it makes all the PCMCIA modules as well as everything
else? Can I make just a few PCMCIA modules instead of all of them?

The pcmcia-cs package will only build modules if you haven't already
enabled PCMCIA modules in your .config.

The kernels I already compiled have CONFIG_PCMCIA=N. I will recompile with CONFIG_PCMCIA=M. Trying to sort out your double-negative, do you mean I should recompile my kernel with PCMCIA as modules, and use precompiled modules from that package? (As well as recompiling the modules from my new config, since I will be leaving out a lot of things like sound and framebuffer and most scsi support). Does the package contain pcmcia source code AND modules? I can't tell them apart, if they end in .o

Normally you only build modules if you DO enable modules. But the instructions in the package match yours. I am confused (TM).

Do I really need to use cardmgr from the pcmcia package or can I use the
one from Slackware 7.1 that works with BL2.1 and kernel 2.2.16?

I bet that there are so many changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels that
you cannot use the old cardmgr.

But I can't use the new cardmgr without a new glibc and I don't want to install a new glibc because it is larger and really not suitable for a computer with 16MB RAM. Maybe the old one will still work.

Should I recompile cardmgr from recent source code, with the libc I will be using on my computers (from SW81)?

Can I use pcmcia modules WITHOUT cardmgr, manually inserting and removing them? insmod pcmciacore_cs.o insmod ds.o insmod i3865.o (?sp) insmod serial_cs.o etc.?

I wish someone would get USB-storage working with kernel 2.2.X. It works with DOS 7 for our three cameras and one memory stick and one card reader (all but the other card reader).

David