baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:10:59 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:
> My kernel works fine with USB (if you push the cable in all the way) but
> insmod i82365: unresolved symbol pm_unregister_ad (-at?)
> unresolved symbol pm_register
>
> I tried the bare.i kernel which is also CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
> insmod i82365: unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev.
>
> I did not compile with pnp support - should I? Do I need APM power
> management too?

Must be so. Although the kernel source should detect that you
answered N to APM and not put the unresolved symbol in
i82365.o.

> Which Slackware 10.2 kernel would work better with PCMCIA?

Are you using SW10.2 modules with the bare.i kernel? The
kernels should work equally well as long as PCMCIA=m is
enabled.

> 2. EXP Multimedia card identifies itself in Socket 1 as
> EXP CD940 CD-ROM, insmod ide-cs.o (I set up config to bind this)
> ide-cs: ide-register at 0x138&0x3ee irq3 failed
> get dev info on socket 1 failed. No such device.
> This is probably one of the cards that is NOT linux compatible.

Yeah. Do you get the same message with 2.2.16?

> When I compiled my kernel I don't think I said Y to hotplug, but this is
> Steven's kernel. Does it need to be recompiled to support this newer
> ethernet card (100MBit) that is Cardbus (some newer standard mentioned in
> the PCMCIA package README)?

If Steven built the module, then it does not need a recompile. You
probably need to switch kernels if you got the module from
elsewhere.

Cardbus is to PCMCIA as PCI is to ISA. PCI and Cardbus are 32-bit,
ISA and PCMCIA are (mainly) 16-bit.

David