baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:14:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The kernels I already compiled have CONFIG_PCMCIA=N. I will recompile
with CONFIG_PCMCIA=M. Trying to sort out your double-negative, do you
mean I should recompile my kernel with PCMCIA as modules, and use
precompiled modules from that package? (As well as recompiling the
modules from my new config, since I will be leaving out a lot of things
like sound and framebuffer and most scsi support).

You can either set CONFIG_PCMCIA=M in kernel (and use the kernel
modules) or set CONFIG_PCMCIA=N (and 'make' in pcmcia-cs will
build modules from the pcmcia package).

I will try first with the bare.i kernel from Slackware 10.2, (with =M) and the premade modules for PCMCIA, and a modem, then with crc32 and tulip modules for the wireless network card that someone just gave Jim when he mentioned our problem, followed by your RTL8180 modules if that works.

MaxGate AirWire 330TX - nowhere on the web. I think it is UMAX, but they have no info on this model. It came in a wireless router with ports marked Printer, WAN, PC and hub, as well as a PCMCIA slot. Maybe we could use it to share a connection with a neighbor, picked up wirelessly then run a crossover cable from PC to computer (or from hub to hub)? How does WAN work?

DamnSmallLinux might identify it. BSD PCMCIA support list had Addtron AEF-330TX which is the same as Accton EN1217 which has a Macronix chip supported by tulip but the module might need to be compiled specially. Why are wireless cards so difficult???

Does the package
contain pcmcia source code AND modules?

Yes.

Thanks.

Normally you only build modules if you DO enable modules. But the
instructions in the package match yours. I am confused (TM).

pcmcia-cs contains its own modules, but it will _not_ build them if
you have already enabled the integrated Linux modules.

Do I really need to use cardmgr from the pcmcia package or can I use the
one from Slackware 7.1 that works with BL2.1 and kernel 2.2.16?

I bet that there are so many changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels that
you cannot use the old cardmgr.

But I can't use the new cardmgr without a new glibc and I don't want
to install a new glibc because it is larger and really not suitable for a
computer with 16MB RAM.

SW10.2 cardmgr only requires SW81 or better glibc. cardctl will
work with SW91 glibc, which is smaller than SW81 glibc.

It is not actually smaller if you compare the same files. I think they just omitted the .pa and .la parts, which I delete anyway. I posted about this earlier.

I will try SW10.2 cardmgr. I have not used cardctl anyway.
With bare.i kernel and precompiled modules.

Can I use pcmcia modules WITHOUT cardmgr, manually inserting and removing
them? insmod pcmciacore_cs.o insmod ds.o insmod i3865.o (?sp) insmod
serial_cs.o etc.?

Why? AFAIK cardmgr is needed to tell the PCMCIA slot about the driver.

Because I thought I would need a new glibc to use cardmgr.

David

We were also given an EPX Multimedia PCMCIA card (by a neighbor who did not know what it was, found it in the trash, and might have the CD-ROM drive in a box somewhere). I will test that out too with ide-cs.o.