baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:41:14 +0000

sindi keesan wrote:

> There is also a pcmcia-cs package in SW10.2 - can I use that instead if I
> don't have brand-new hardware,

Certainly, but you will obviously need to install SW10.2 glibc for cardmgr
if you use the precompiled SW10.2 binary.

> for compilation (I think for any kernel). I need to make config for the
> kernel (answering Y or M to PCMCIA things that are in the kernel source
> code) and then I unpack the pcmcia package to /usr/src/linux-2.4.31 (where
> I have the kernel source already) and make config for that.

Where do you see that? I thought that it was supposed to work by unpacking
the pcmcia package anywhere and then doing Configure and make in the
pcmcia package. This would build a dynamic cardmgr for the libc in /lib and
also build modules, if you haven't already built them with the kernel source,
but it needs to find the kernel source code, probably in
/lib/modules/VERSION/build or /usr/src/linux.

> make bzImage and it makes all the PCMCIA modules as well as everything
> else? Can I make just a few PCMCIA modules instead of all of them?

The pcmcia-cs package will only build modules if you haven't already
enabled PCMCIA modules in your .config.

> I am supposed to make config on the computer where I will be using PCMCIA
> but I don't have the space or speed to compile on the laptops. Is it okay
> to compile PCMCIA on the fast desktop and then use it on the laptop?

Yes, it should be.

> Do I really need to use cardmgr from the pcmcia package or can I use the
> one from Slackware 7.1 that works with BL2.1 and kernel 2.2.16?

I bet that there are so many changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels that
you cannot use the old cardmgr.

David