baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 2.1 with bzimage.big

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 2.1 with bzimage.big
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:31:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

What version of gcc are you using to build this kernel?

gcc 2.95 (I think from Slackware 8.1).

2.95.3 is what everyone recommends, so that is likely not the problem.

I have SW91 glibc on the other computer and could compile there with SW91
gcc if I installed the kernel source and headers, but if you still have
yours set up to compile would you have time to compile using my kernel
config?

OK. Do you want any modules?

If you compile the one from configsm.431 I would need

scsi_mod
sd_mod

configsy.431 has the above built in.

They both need:

usbcore
uhci or usb-uhci --- both of which crash BL2.1 for me
usb-storage

If you have a USB storage device, you can test the kernel yourself with those modules.

Which gcc did you use?

I don't remember. See the first line of dmesg within the running kernel
if you want to find out.

Do you want to try compiling a 2.2.6 kernel that works with USB-storage?

I already have. Mine behaved exactly like Steven's. The usb-storage
problems are the result of fundamental deficiencies in the 2.2.x usb
drivers. Porting the 2.4 drivers to 2.2 would take a lot of work, so it is
more sensible to use 2.4 when you need it and 2.2 the rest of the
time.

Yes, but I need to learn how to compile correctly for 2.4 so I can use USB and PCMCIA and a few other things at the same time. First USB.

2.2 would leave more space on a floppy disk for other things.

Maybe someone will eventually get 2.2.X to work with USB.
The memory stick and CF reader and camera work perfectly with DOS 7 standalone but the SM reader does not.

David