baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:32:46 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, t.maiden AT att.net wrote:

Unfortunately these computers (and XP computers in general I believe) won't
boot from a floppy even if a floppy drive is built-in. Booting from the CD
drive (or maybe from a flash drive) is all you have short of going to (from)
the hard drive.

A similar boot CD could be made (booting you into FreeDOS and containing loadlin, kernel and initrd). I suppose the full complement of modules could be kept there, so your flash drive space wouldn't be taken up by them. You may find the machines won't boot from CD and that the BIOS is locked, though.

James