baslinux - Re: [BL] 'hda status timeout' in BL3.40 and hdparm

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 'hda status timeout' in BL3.40 and hdparm
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:51:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

It may make more sense to rebuild busybox with the hdparm applet.
You can skip the DMA feature - BL has DMA off by default and it is
only useful if your hardware supports DMA and you need a faster
disk transfer.

Two of our computers seem to have DMA problems and BL (2) tries to do
something and finally disables DMA, so I had to disable in CMOS.
Someone said it keeps the cpu from overheating. The cpu in one of these
was indeed gettinbg fried. We had to put on a better heat sink (flat on
the bottom to match the cpu, without a heat transfer pad in the middle).

If the CPU burns up because DMA is disabled, it is only a symptom of
a hardware problem, i.e. poor cooling or CPU clocked too high. DMA
only increases the speed of data transfers and reduces CPU usage.

We improved the cooling. The CPU is set to its rated speed of 400MHz.

The loop version has it in /DOS/initrd, the ext2 does not have it
anywhere.

What does it do in initrd?

Do you mean initrd/DOS? That is your DOS partition. I don't have
hdparm in my initrd or dos partition.

Silly me. I must have copied it to DOS from BL2, and the glibc version works in BL3 with the library upgrade.