baslinux - Re: [BL] silly mixup

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] silly mixup
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:40:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Kunle 'bona wrote:

i inadvertantly fiddled with my login parameters and deleted root from my user access, fortunately i was able to
restore my root account before i made an even bigger mistake of restarting the computer, anyway my root folder got
deleted and all my shortcuts like the "home" and "end" shortcuts got deleted , also i cant view
the contents of archived files in links anymore; how do i rectify this i know that ^e is "end" and ^a is
"home" but i would prefer to use the home and end keys

If this is BL2 you have deleted .profile, which contains aliases.
You can copy it back from the ramdisk (floppy or HD) BL2.

or
pico /root/.profile

d='links-0.93 .'

Add your other aliases to this same file, for home or end.
Or you can make scripts for them in some /bin or /sbin directory,
and remember to chmod +x the script so it is executable.

In some cases aliases will not work in an rxvt/xterm (if you make it manually rather than from the menu) but scripts will.