baslinux - [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4 was Re: mplayer and lynx with streaming audio

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4 was Re: mplayer and lynx with streaming audio
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:15:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Where do I get codecs for MPEG-4 formats aac and aac+ (aacPlus v1 and
v2),
which are touted as the latest and greatest and are used by Apple iTunes?

Isn't it built in?

It did not play.
Can you play an aac+ file with mplayer, online?

No. I tried this and it failed to work. It acted as though it was
not a media file. Hmm. Maybe another player would work with
these files, such as xmms or itunes.

This means there are no codecs for mplayer (yet)?
The only site where I ran into aac+ offered numerous other formats.

./mplayer
http://asm.stanford.edu/transfer/04%20-%20Unknown%20Artist%20-%20Track%204.aac

code or odd HTML at this website? lynx might have trouble if it
is not just a link to the file.

I did not notice any javascript. Do you want to check out this site?

I looked at it and saw lots of javascript. So you will need to use
a different browser or figure out how to get lynx to work despite
the javascript.

I will eventually learn to edit whatever file Opera uses to invoke external programs for specific file formats. Their GUI setup takes too long and is too confusing.

Before putting much more effort into streaming audio, we may try to connect to the neighbor's broadband connection us so we can listen at 24K-32K without it cutting out for 30 sec at a time, or running at 1/5 advertised speed at other times.

We were given a Linksys Wireless-B Notebook Adapter WPC11 ver 4, which unlike earlier versions appears to be supported by Linksys only by way of Windows drivers using 'ndiswrapper'. Can this be done in BL, maybe with 2.2.26 or 2.4.31 kernel?

Linksys supposedly offered free exchanges for ver 3 but another linux user eventually gave up trying and returned it for a refund instead.

The card is identified in other people's linuxes as rtl8139 (realtek).

Are any wireless ethernet manufacturers still providing linux drivers?

David