baslinux - [BL] pilot-link with Palm III, USB, and 2.2.26

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] pilot-link with Palm III, USB, and 2.2.26
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 04:32:43 +0000 (UTC)

I have a Franklin Handspring Visor Palm II PDA with USB cradle (that optionally has a serial cradle. A visitor brought over his similar PDA and explained that you can use it in linux. So I spent an hour figuring out how to type in with stylus one address, one todo, and three scheduled events and decided I need to learn to type it on a real keyboard. He said there is linux software for this, so I searched on Palm Handspring linux.

I just downloaded about 1MB of pilot-link-0.12.0-pre4.7.bz2 source code.

About 5-10 min of bunzip2, tar -xvf,./configure, make, make install gave me a lot of files in /usr/local:

./bin - about 2MB, create, transform, move various files to/from PDA
(It supports many features I don't have, such as voice recording and photos).

./lib - 650K of two .so files, and 1.3MB of .a and 2K of .la

./include - 200K of .h files

Can I safely delete the .*a and .h files if I won't be using them to compile anything else?

./share/pilot-link - 3 little files

./man/man1/ 84K of useful looking documentation

I used the SW81 glibc, gcc and binutils. 'as' was quite busy for a few minutes.

Would anyone like a Slackware package of this (requires glibc 2.2.5 and I have no idea yet if it works)?

jpilot and kpilot appear to be gui frontends for pilot-link.

You can also compile USB support into 'coldsync'.

Handspring offers an optional serial cradle, but I have USB cradle.
For serial connection to Com1:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot

I found 'A Trio of Tips for the Handspring Visor' for linux
http://alllinuxdevices.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-27-001-03-PS-HH
which refers to a Handspring Visor USB Mini-HOWTO at http://www.calvin.edu/~rvbijl39/visor/visor.html

I need to compile in usb-serial and Visor support, and use kernel 2.2.18 or later to get usb-serial support. (This is not mass storage but some USB emulation of serial).

I think David compiled usb-serial for one of his 2.4.31 kernels, probably not Visor.

Steven provides both modules for 2.2.26, thanks! Do I need the 'big' kernel to use them?

insmod usbcore, uhci or ohci, usb-serial, visor (anything else?)

mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot
(What does ttyUSB0 do?)

Press sync button on cradle before starting pilot software. (Similar to turning the USB camera on and to PC mode before insmodding usb-storage?).

They also suggest Wordsmith, by Blue Nomad, a Palm wordprocessor, which produces .pdb files that you can convert with their conversion program to .rtf files, shareware $30, free for use as memo pad or e-text viewer. It requires Palm OS III. Might it work as a small wordprocessor without Palm? 2.3MB, available for Redhat Linux 6.0 and later.

It looks to me like just a conversion program, rtf to pdb, that requires
a wordprocessor.

sindi