baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 01:05:29 +0000 (UTC)

We have two compact flash cards (4MB and 64MB) and one smartmedia card. We have one Sandisk CF/SM reader and one Olympus SM reader.

The Sandisk works in XP with both cards. The Olympus does not work with XP.

The Sandisk works in DOS on ohci but not uchi, with compact flash cards. (I think the SMdid not work). I did not try the Olympus in DOS.. The Sandisk works from warm boot (reboot) but not cold boot.

In linux the Sandisk also requires a warm boot (reboot) to work. It works with ohci or uhci (David's kernel or SW91). It reads CF but not SM cards.

I assumed the Olympus reader would not work in DOS or linux because it won't work in Win XP unless we hunt up some online driver.

It works with David's 1-floppy linux!!!!! Not worth trying in DOS since we have no working ohci computers.

zgv works fine on S3 Virge.
The floppy boot disk found the Sandisk with CF card on a a Toshiba 335CDS laptop, but zgv produced a blank screen and we had to reboot. We don't have linux installed here yet.

Conclusions:

In both DOS and Linux (David's setup) Sandisk reader works only on the second boot (reboot). Did not check the Olympus. Or SW91 live CD.

Sandisk card reader works with SM in XP, not in linux. Olympus reader works with SM in linux, not in XP (maybe if you add drivers it will work; Olympus provides a CD with some large software for this).

zgv (compiled with uClibc) does not work with at least one Matrox card and at least one laptop, but works with S3 Trio3D and Virge. The S3 cards work for me everywhere, even with older monitors that do 1280 with S3 but only 1024 with newer video cards.

David's setup boots on two uhci desktops (AMD K6-2 and Intel P2) and one Toshiba laptop. It accesses the USB port and card on both computers where we tried it. But zgv works on only 1 of the 3 computers.

The disk is already usable for downloads but it will be nice to have an editor and libvga.config and standard reboot.

My partner will take along some blank disks. Will this 1-floppy linux include dd so he can make newer disks?

I wonder why the two readers act differntly with the same card.