baslinux - Re: [BL] WP51/DOS problems under dosemu and xdosemu

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] WP51/DOS problems under dosemu and xdosemu
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:09:23 -0700

On 8/5/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I have MGA/TTL and VGA on this computer (matrox VGA) and an 84-key
> keyboard.
>
> I have BL2 set up with Xvesa and an rxvt. I ran xdosemu at 640 resolution
> because it fills the screen better. If I run it at 1024 and then maximize
> the dosemu box, the text looks rather bad. It might help to install the
> proper dosemu vga fonts. Dosemu won't work right with BL3, says David.

Try it yourself if you don't believe me. And let us know if it does work.

> WP51/DOS under plain dosemu on the VGA screen is a disaster.
>
> It keeps leaving out letters at random. I typed going three times:
> goig going oig
>
> Maybe my dual-head system is confusing it? Or this keyboard?

Looks like dosemu's fault.

> The quick brown fox turned into Thequick bro fox
> Hello there became Helo ee
>
> The Enter key at least works. And F7.
>
> My partner's text editor has no such problems - all the letters appear
> immediately when typed.

WP probably has some loop which uses up CPU and dosemu doesn't
like.

> WP works under pure DOS on this dual-monitor system.
>
> It has typing problems on the TTL monitor under dosemu too.
>
> My partner is delighted to be able to use his text editor, which means he
> does not have to learn to rewrite it to compile for linux.
>
> So I installed WP42/DOS and this works very nicely under dosemu in VGA
> mode. I can't get it to load under xdosemu. What am I doing wrong?

What is the error? Does it do nothing and just drop you back to a prompt?
Perhaps xdosemu imitates a graphics card which WP42 can't handle.

David