baslinux - Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues

  • From: RandumAri AT netscape.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:34:11 -0400

Hey again,

>> Why can't you mount BL3 from the other distribution?
>> Is it installed to hard drive, or are you using the loop version?

BL3 can't mount it because its installed on a minix (old linux) filesystem.

and so
>mount /dev/hda3 /mnt
doesn't work.
>> If the latter, you need to
>> insmod loop
>> mount /dev/hda3 /mnt
>> mount -o loop /mnt/baslin/fs.img /bin/sh --login
>
>This last line should be:
>
>mkdir /bl
>mount -o loop /mnt/baslin/fs.img /bl
>
>You will probably need to be root. Also, the other
>distribution might be picky about capitalization.
>
>> Steven, please correct the above if it is wrong. I am assuming that the
>> loop version of BL3 is in the third partition, in directory /baslin, and
>> that you have a directory /mnt in the other linux distribution.
>>
>> This is the BL3 'loop' version (the one you download to DOS partition and
>> unzip).
>>
>> > 4) Download directly onto the computer
>>
>> I have done file transfers in other ways:
>> 5) Serial cable (nullmodem) with DOS laplink pro (you can use it from two
>> DOS boot floppy disks) or parallel transfer cable, ditto.
>> 6) BL3 (see netsetup) can do file transfers via SLIP (serial) or PLIP
>> (parallel) transfer cable, which is faster.
>> 7) ethernet cable (linux only), the fastest, using BL3 at both ends.
>> 8) parallel port zip drive (which I will probably use to put BL onto a
>> laptop without CD-ROM drive or ethernet card). Requires several linux
>> modules, or can be done using DOS.
This is very useful to know for future reference!... fortunately, Steven got
my cdrom drive working perfectly, so I suppose this is all resolved now.
>> If transferring with DOS, you will need a DOS partition (use DOS to format
>> it) and then transfer the files from DOS to linux using linux.
>>
>> Using DOS to transfer the files may truncate long file names, but the
>> Slackware packages in versions up to 7.1 are all short names.

>>> I can't find mkdosfs for BL3 though. [so I can format a 4th partition as
>>> shared space]

->BL3 doesn't include it. You can install it from
->Slackware 4.0.

I think its in bin-9.2.0-i486-2.tgz . This is sort of a new problem though.
When I try to "pkg [FILENAME].tgz" it seems to install. Then, after
installing I try typing in the name of the package and I get a command not
found. Does that mean that I installed an incompatable package (and if so,
how can I uninstall it?) Or am I typing in the wrong executable name (what
are the actual names?). I've tried installing lincity, which worked when I
typed in xlincity, but I can't get anything in a "bsd-games-2.13-i386-6.tgz"
package or "mp3.tgz" to work, even when in an X environment.

Thanks for helping me get on my feet here,
Lazarith

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.