baslinux - Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:14:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 RandumAri AT netscape.net wrote:

I got such great help on my last question, so I'll ask another:
I'm trying to find the best way to transfer files to my BL3-box.
Here are my ideas-
1) Floppy disks (a suprising 80% of my floppies seem to be corrupt)
2) CD-Rom (when mounting I get a driver not found error)
3) Use the other version of Linux I have to access the CD-Rom
(however, neither Linux distribution can mount the other)

Why can't you mount BL3 from the other distribution?
Is it installed to hard drive, or are you using the loop version?

If the former, let's assume it is on /dev/hda3 (third partition of
primary master or single drive).

mount /dev/hda3 /bin/sh --login

It should be

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt

and then to change to using BL3, chroot /mnt /bin/sh --login
(I think). I got two things confused here.
Thanks for the correction.

If the latter, you need to
insmod loop
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt
mount -o loop /mnt/baslin/fs.img /bin/sh --login

This last line should be:

mkdir /bl
mount -o loop /mnt/baslin/fs.img /bl

You will probably need to be root. Also, the other
distribution might be picky about capitalization.

Steven, please correct the above if it is wrong. I am assuming that the
loop version of BL3 is in the third partition, in directory /baslin, and
that you have a directory /mnt in the other linux distribution.

This is the BL3 'loop' version (the one you download to DOS partition and
unzip).

4) Download directly onto the computer

I have done file transfers in other ways:
5) Serial cable (nullmodem) with DOS laplink pro (you can use it from two
DOS boot floppy disks) or parallel transfer cable, ditto.
6) BL3 (see netsetup) can do file transfers via SLIP (serial) or PLIP
(parallel) transfer cable, which is faster.
7) ethernet cable (linux only), the fastest, using BL3 at both ends.
8) parallel port zip drive (which I will probably use to put BL onto a
laptop without CD-ROM drive or ethernet card). Requires several linux
modules, or can be done using DOS.

If transferring with DOS, you will need a DOS partition (use DOS to format
it) and then transfer the files from DOS to linux using linux.

Using DOS to transfer the files may truncate long file names, but the
Slackware packages in versions up to 7.1 are all short names.

I'd rather not resort to 1 & 4...
In order to get the second idea, I need a driver, which I don't
know where to find or what it would be called (I tried
slackware...)
In order to get the third idea, I made an extra partition, but I
need to format it for msdos/vfat (BL3 can mount those I think).
I can't find mkdosfs for BL3 though.

What do y'all think?
Thanks,
Lazarith