baslinux - Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xfering Files & CD/msdos fs issues
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:20:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 RandumAri AT netscape.net wrote:

Hey again,

Why can't you mount BL3 from the other distribution?
Is it installed to hard drive, or are you using the loop version?

BL3 can't mount it because its installed on a minix (old linux) filesystem.

What version of linux are you using?

I can't find mkdosfs for BL3 though. [so I can format a 4th partition as
shared space]

->BL3 doesn't include it. You can install it from
->Slackware 4.0.

I think its in bin-9.2.0-i486-2.tgz . This is sort of a new problem though. When I try to "pkg [FILENAME].tgz" it seems to install. Then, after installing I try typing in the name of the package and I get a command not found. Does that mean that I installed an incompatable package (and if so, how can I uninstall it?) Or am I typing in the wrong executable name (what are the actual names?). I've tried installing lincity, which worked when I typed in xlincity, but I can't get anything in a "bsd-games-2.13-i386-6.tgz" package or "mp3.tgz" to work, even when in an X environment.

You should type the name of one of the programs in this package, not the name of the package. For instance type 'mpg123' 'mp3.tgz'.

Steven has set up a way to show you what is in a package. cd to the directory where the .tgz file (package) is located, type 'd', you will see a list of files, arrow down to the *.tgz want to look inside, hit Enter. You should get a list of all the files in the package. The executable files are most likely in /bin /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin (unless they are X programs) or something else on the path. Type set to see what is on the path (it is listed after PATH).

Thanks for helping me get on my feet here,
I am still stumbling around myself getting lots of help.

Lazarith