baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:46:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

Steven Darnold wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

most of which don't work?

Most .ram links work fine for me. Sounds like your racook
codex is faulty or in the wrong place. When you get a .ram
that works, check that it actually uses the racook codec.
Some (older?) .ram links use something else (which appears
to be built into mplayer).

Yes, these are the older 14.4 and 28.8 bitrate standard
Realaudio files. GPL'd source code is available for these
older codecs. The newer ones are binary-only.

I also have these two codecs from the rp8 package, the only two that were not overwritten by rp9 codecs. Do I understand correctly that I don't really need these two codecs because they come in mplayer, and all I need is the rp9 codecs (the larger OLD package that Steven is using)?

I just looked at the output of "mplayer -ac help | grep ra".
There are quite a few RA codecs listed there. Only a couple
come with plain MPlayer. Does the rp9 package provide all of
the others? I had no idea that .r*m files could hold so many
different codecs.

Windows Media audio seems to be covered by DivX, which is at
least partially compatible. Most Quicktime files which I
have seen have MPlayer-compatible audio. They seem to need
a binary codec for the proprietary audio.

Maybe I need more than the rp9 codecs?

Are you sure you have the right rp9 codec? Some are for
Macs or Windows. Some have awkward library dependencies
(libstdc++.so.5).
This was a tar.bz2 and I have not checked dependencies.

Now that is very odd. I would expect a .so to depend upon
MPlayer alone, which is statically compiled (including
-lstdc++, not sure which version). Does MPlayer actually
give a not found error, or whatever it is supposed to do
in that situation?

I will attempt to read the error messages by scrolling backwards.

My latest MPlayer wants racook.so.6.0 for cook. You can
read the list yourself with the aforementioned command.

I found the perfect rp9 codec package
dated 2002-05-23. It's only 800kb and works perfectly
on my BL2 installation (glibc2.2.5).

Excellent.

David