baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:31:17 -0800

Steven Darnold wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
>
> > most of which don't work?
>
> Most .ram links work fine for me. Sounds like your racook
> codex is faulty or in the wrong place. When you get a .ram
> that works, check that it actually uses the racook codec.
> Some (older?) .ram links use something else (which appears
> to be built into mplayer).

Yes, these are the older 14.4 and 28.8 bitrate standard
Realaudio files. GPL'd source code is available for these
older codecs. The newer ones are binary-only.

I just looked at the output of "mplayer -ac help | grep ra".
There are quite a few RA codecs listed there. Only a couple
come with plain MPlayer. Does the rp9 package provide all of
the others? I had no idea that .r*m files could hold so many
different codecs.

Windows Media audio seems to be covered by DivX, which is at
least partially compatible. Most Quicktime files which I
have seen have MPlayer-compatible audio. They seem to need
a binary codec for the proprietary audio.

> > Maybe I need more than the rp9 codecs?
>
> Are you sure you have the right rp9 codec? Some are for
> Macs or Windows. Some have awkward library dependencies
> (libstdc++.so.5).

Now that is very odd. I would expect a .so to depend upon
MPlayer alone, which is statically compiled (including
-lstdc++, not sure which version). Does MPlayer actually
give a not found error, or whatever it is supposed to do
in that situation?

My latest MPlayer wants racook.so.6.0 for cook. You can
read the list yourself with the aforementioned command.

> I found the perfect rp9 codec package
> dated 2002-05-23. It's only 800kb and works perfectly
> on my BL2 installation (glibc2.2.5).

Excellent.

David

once.