baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:44:07 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> E. Europe is mostly Realaudio, which I think worked with mplayer 2
> except you had to convert the format and then play it with sox (and
> David said to delete all but the last version because it did
> everything, and I forgot it does NOT do realaudio and deleted it).

But it does do realaudio. All of the MPlayer versions play the older
realaudio format files. The next version should play all of them
which MPlayer has drivers for (binary codecs which were not useable
with my earlier MPlayer attempts).

> David, could you possibly manage a #4 that works on P1s AND P2s and
> also plays realaudio?

I will try.

> Does MS charge (or charge more than Real) for the use of its
> software to encode WMA (MS Media seems to be the new name).

Nope. I use Windows Media Encoder 7.1 to encode test files.
You need Windows (I used it with both 98FE and XP, way back
when) but the encoder itself is gratis. You should be able
to either find it or a newer version online. Incidentally,
mencoder (included with MPlayer) encodes to all supported
WM formats.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com