baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:12:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:13:32 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

For those of you interested in using mplayer to listen
to radio stations via the internet, you can use links
(in BL2 or BL3) to act as a selector for Shoutcast.
Shoutcast has hundreds of different radio stations.

Just add the following two lines to links.cfg
(under .links in your home directory):
extension "pls" "audio/x-scpls
association "mplayer" "audio/x-scpls" "mplayer -playlist %" 19 1
You need another " at the end of the extension line.

I ran across format audio/scpls and added that as an association.
Then I tried to add ram as "audio/x-pn-realaudio" and ran into the
missiing codec problem (racook not found). David, did you say that this latest compilation of mplayer would NOT play realaudio but an earlier one (that would not play sound but would convert to another format) would handle realaudio? If so, is there any chance of your compiling a final version that also does realaudio? I seem to have deleted my earlier mplayer that only worked via conversion.

Or was I supposed to somehow add the codec myself?

I can now listen to audio/x-scpls and audio/scpls files. shoutcast had very few classical links. www-live-radio.net has both Albanian and Albainian (modelled on Ukrainian and its misspelling Ukranian?), but most of the E. European stations broadcast in realaudio not mp3 (maybe also Windows Media). I have not tried Windows Media yet with this versions.

Then start links and go to:
http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?maxbitrate=56
That's for dial-up users. If you have broadband, you can
drop the ?maxbitrate=56. Or, if you have slower dialup,
you can reduce the 56.

It works for me. I am currently listening to Doc Watson on a bluegrass
station in the USA via my dialup in Oz.

Regards,
Ron

--