baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:31:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

I have uploaded a new MPlayer package to
<http://geocities.com/davidjmoberg/mplayer.tgz>. It
should initially behave like the older binary.
However, it is now possible to install the binary
codecs from the MPlayer site and use them. If you
want to use the Indeo 4+, racook, and other codecs,
install this new MPlayer. You will also need to
download the codecs. You may get all of the standard
ones (including racook) from the 12-13 megabyte large
codec package. Here are 3 mirrors to choose from:

Thanks, but could someone with a much faster connection than my dialin volunteer to download this enormous package and post just the racook codec separately? What other codecs are commonly used by internet radio?

<http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20050412.tar.bz2>
<http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20050412.tar.bz2>
<http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20050412.tar.bz2>

You will find other codec packages at the MPlayer
website <http://mplayerhq.hu/>.

After your download is complete, extracting the
codec package will create a new directory. mkdir
/usr/local/lib if it doesn't already exist, and
move/rename the new directory (with the codecs
inside) to /usr/local/lib/codecs.

You may remove any codecs which you will not use.

I bet whoever put together the mplayer site assumed everyone had broadband internet access.

Which codecs other than racook are commonly used in internet radio?

David, could you possibly include at least racook in your mplayer package so that those of us with dialup access don't need to download for two hours to get one codec?

After all of this is complete, you should be able
to play racook and other files which would not work
with the earlier MPlayer versions.

Because I deleted some things since I last compiled
MPlayer, I needed to rebuild them. Please let me
know if I broke anything. I tested the binary and
it seems to be okay, but I am not quite sure.

Comments, etc. may be posted here or sent to my
Lycos mail account.

Many thanks for all your work.

Thanks,
David