baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:49:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I had thought about running WP5.1 in dosemu but
> dosemu has too many other problems.

Do you have glibc 2.2? If so, have you tried the "official"
binaries from the dosemu website?

> > I don't think Alt-F2 does anything if you aren't using virtual
> > terminals. There is a deallocvt program which lets you remove
> > virtual terminals.
> >

> But I DO use virtual terminals - four of them. chvt can be used
> instead of Alt-F2. I am giving up on dosemu for a year or so.

If you used xdosemu, would this prevent the problem? X needs Ctrl
to switch VTs.

> We heard a demo but did not know about MIDI files at the time. So
> in order for my downloaded midi files to sound good I should get a
> grand piano.

Well, if you want them to sound really good, you hire an orchestra to
perform them for you. :)

> Would an electronic keyboard also work?

If it has the proper MIDI ports.

> Despite not having a DMA 5, 6, or 7, the Vibra16X plays 8-bit sound
> hissy and 16-bit sound much nicer. Maybe you can play 16-bit but
> not record 16-bit sound?

Hmm. It seems so. This is very interesting.

> The opti sounded a lot better when we moved the jumpers from
> speaker to line and turned up the speakers instead. It has no heat
> sink. Loud volumes sounded very buzzy with speaker out.

In other words, classic transistor distortion (when overdriven)?

> At one point I got some message (from isapnp?) about 4 bytes of
> resource conflict at 534. There was something in teh config file
> that I got without -rc about minimum irq being 534, but 530 still
> worked.
>
> So the solution to getting a pnp card to work is first to run
> isapnp, comment out the parts you do not want, then look up the
> correct io setting when nothing listed in the .conf file actually
> works.

OK. But I don't need any of this, since my two cards work correctly
with the defaults.

> So far, it does not look like there is any need to initialize SB or
> Opti cards in DOS before using them in linux, or to use isapnp
> (unless you expect to get the correct settings from it, which I did
> not). The exception is playing midis with AWE (and probably with
> FM synthesis, which I have not tried in linux yet).

The OPL3 needs initialization to work correctly. Also, my Vibra16,
at least, needs isapnp before MPlayer will work.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com