baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:38:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The patch may have come later than Slackware 7.1.
>
> I looked at the 33 pages of mdacon.c (don't know from which year)
> and discovered that it does intensity, underline, reverse and blink
> but cannot do reverse and underline at the same time, and reverse
> is used for cursors sometimes and takes precedence.
>
> I also ran across my discussion with David about the mdacon.o
> included with his framebuffer package, which is different from the
> one that comes with Slackware 7.1. Was the framebuffer version
> compiled with the same source code (SW7.1)?

Perhaps it was not exactly the same? I got my source code from
kernel.org, which has the "official" Linux source code. I first
downloaded 2.2.0, then all of the 2.2.x patches. I then untarred
2.2.0 and patched it up to 2.2.16. Perhaps Slackware 7.1 added
some patches to their Linux source code?

How much different is my mdacon.o versus the one from Slackware?
The size difference may be easily explained by my use of a newer
version of gcc. The reason the Slackware one cannot be used with
a framebuffer is because it was not built to go with a framebuffer.

> But recent dosemu (last year) had a bug that I could not figure out
> how to use the patch for (no ^ A or S appeared when you typed them
> in CLI) so I was using it in BL3 after installing bash so that
> dosemu would install. I will try the earliest version for glibc2
> unless they fixed the bug in the latest version. Perhaps someone
> could help figure out the patch since other people have also
> expressed an interest in dosemu with BL. The other problem with WP
> is Alt-F keys, which mean something to WP but in linux shift
> consoles, so I would need to change linux somehow so that Alt-F2
> did not do anything in linux itself.

I don't think Alt-F2 does anything if you aren't using virtual
terminals. There is a deallocvt program which lets you remove
virtual terminals.

> > UARTs are also found in serial ports, where they split data into
> > individual bits. You should have one on an SB16.
>
> What would a bad one do?

Force the card to not work at all.

> Is this why I get clicking noises when
> not playing something?

Probably not. This is likely interference from other things on the
computer. Completely normal.

> This must be how people put make midi files - I had thought they used
> a program to do it.

You do use a "program" to capture MIDI. You can also use a tracker,
but it is much slower and more artificial.

> Do you know if each voice (each instrument) gets
> recorded separately?

Yes, they are.

> Could you play midi files on one of those
> expensive new Yamaha player pianos?

Probably on at least one of them. I remember seeing a MIDI player piano
about a decade ago. It took DOS-formatted floppy disks with MIDI files
and played them back by mechanically moving the keys up and down.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com