baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:30:03 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > GNU Parted can set the 'hidden' flag on DOS partitions. It can also
> > non-destructively resize partitions, unlike fdisk. It's basically
> > a better (and larger) fdisk.
>
> I will try it. I would like to hide Windows most of the time. In
> order to boot it, the partition it is on (first partition on the
> second drive) needs to also be made 'active' - can parted do this?

Yes. Or DOS fdisk can do this.

> I still am stuck with Windows for such idiotic tasks as upgrading
> USR modems to V90 (Phoebe Micro uses DOS) and making boot disks for
> Seagate utilities. In just two years I have conquered scanning,
> copying audio CDs, playing DVDs, and streaming audio, which was all
> I normally used Windows for. I could not have done it without all
> the help. (At least not in a linux that lets you think for
> yourself). DOS is still better for use with a TTL monito,r but the
> maintainer of mdacon promised (a long time ago) to try to add a
> scroll buffer and underlines would be nice too - does anyone want
> to help me try to modify mdacon.c to do this?

Have you tried a newer kernel? For instance, does DamnSmallLinux do
mdacon?

> After already initializing the card in DOS ( io 220 mpu 330 irq 5
> dma 1 dma16 5) I used pnpdump -rc to produce an isapnp.conf file
> and it told me
> 'uart401: bad devc' -

> what does a uart401 do? Do I actually have one?

UARTs are also found in serial ports, where they split data into
individual bits. You should have one on an SB16.

> In DOS, I was able to use ctcm to choose from 6 different
> configurations, two of which had no second DMA. Do you think your
> error message means that the channel you chose was unavailable, or
> the card was not set up to have a second DMA channel? It looks
> from pnpdump like it should be dma16=3 but the rules seem to be
> that DMA16 is 5, 6, or 7.

Perhaps it would work if I changed the second DMA to one of these.

> I have three other brands of 56K (USR Rockwell Phoebe-Micro). Nice
> to know at least four companies made hardware 56K modems. Do you
> know the init string to tell your modem not to try X2 before V90?

No. I don't care if it takes a little longer to connect.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com