baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:29:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> What the Vibra16X appears to be lacking is 'full duplex', the
> ability to play and record at the same time, for which you
> supposedly need a high DMA channel. The Opti is set to two
> different low DMA channels, the Vibra16X both DMAs to the same
> channel. Another site said you can play and record at the same
> time if both channels are the same. I don't follow all this.
> Unless I start recording I won't try too hard to follow.

I don't use full duplex, anyhow.
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/VIBRA16 says that VIBRA16 full-duplex
mode is "unsupported".

[Opti]

> No matter how low we turned the volume, with jumpers set to
> 'speaker' it sounded bad. Dying transistor?

Or dead transistor. Some amplifier designs use two transistors,
one to amplify each half of an audio wave. When one dies, you
only get half of the wave, which sounds terrible. Somewhat like
a cranked amp, only worse.

> Some have a choice of speaker or line and no
> heat sinks, and we will set those to line to avoid overheating.

I doubt a 5-watt amplifier will overheat anything unless there's
a short in it.

[MIDI trackers and similar software]

> So do you specify the pitch, duration, and volume of each note with
> software?

Yes. With a MIDI keyboard which cannot sense the amount of force
with which a key is pressed, the volume is either all the same
or you need to set that manually (probablly by adding forte,
mezzopiano, etc. marks or by using a volume slider)

> Are there OCR type programs that can automatically convert
> a musical score into an uninterpreted midi file?

I'm sure there are. Google "music ocr" without quotes.

> You might want as many as four channels for each violin part.

MIDI allows for chords on one channel, so you only need one
channel for each kind of instrument. Of course, General MIDI
specifies more than one instrument for each major class (e.g.
Acoustic Grand and electric pianos. also e.g. wood, fingered,
slap, acoustic, and electric bass). But for multiple notes
with one instrument (say, acoustic grand piano) only one
channel is needed.

> Can you hear differences in quality between various sound cards?

I'm not Ron, but I can hear big differences between different
sound cards. For instance, noise level (compare with and without
amplification).

David
David

once.