baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:25:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

I would like to hide Windows most of the time. In
order to boot it, the partition it is on (first partition on the
second drive) needs to also be made 'active' - can parted do this?

Yes. Or DOS fdisk can do this.
DOS is still better for use with a TTL monito,r but the
maintainer of mdacon promised (a long time ago) to try to add a
scroll buffer, and underlines would be nice too - does anyone want
to help me try to modify mdacon.c to do this?

Have you tried a newer kernel? For instance, does DamnSmallLinux do
mdacon?

I just reread what I wrote to the linux kernel list and did some more poking around the web. The maintainer asked me if I had Hercules or some other brand of card (I have other brands, about 10 of them). mdacon was written in 1997, rewritten by the current maintainer in 1998, and patched in 2000 (I think this was so it would work with non-Hercules cards).

The patch may have come later than Slackware 7.1.

I looked at the 33 pages of mdacon.c (don't know from which year) and discovered that it does intensity, underline, reverse and blink but cannot do reverse and underline at the same time, and reverse is used for cursors sometimes and takes precedence.

I also ran across my discussion with David about the mdacon.o included with his framebuffer package, which is different from the one that comes with Slackware 7.1. Was the framebuffer version compiled with the same source code (SW7.1)? The SW71 version did not work properly when I booted with the framebuffer kernel, but the framebuffer one worked well in both cases, so I will check it out for underlines. Where I miss them is in dosemu trying to use Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS.

But recent dosemu (last year) had a bug that I could not figure out how to use the patch for (no ^ A or S appeared when you typed them in CLI) so I was using it in BL3 after installing bash so that dosemu would install. I will try the earliest version for glibc2 unless they fixed the bug in the latest version. Perhaps someone could help figure out the patch since other people have also expressed an interest in dosemu with BL. The other problem with WP is Alt-F keys, which mean something to WP but in linux shift consoles, so I would need to change linux somehow so that Alt-F2 did not do anything in linux itself. chvt 2 I think changes consoles too.

After already initializing the card in DOS ( io 220 mpu 330 irq 5
dma 1 dma16 5) I used pnpdump -rc to produce an isapnp.conf file
and it told me
'uart401: bad devc' -

what does a uart401 do? Do I actually have one?

UARTs are also found in serial ports, where they split data into
individual bits. You should have one on an SB16.

What would a bad one do? Is this why I get clicking noises when not playing something? I will check the same radio (speakers) on a different card.

In DOS, I was able to use ctcm to choose from 6 different
configurations, two of which had no second DMA. Do you think your
error message means that the channel you chose was unavailable, or
the card was not set up to have a second DMA channel? It looks
from pnpdump like it should be dma16=3 but the rules seem to be
that DMA16 is 5, 6, or 7.

Perhaps it would work if I changed the second DMA to one of these.

Try ctcu/ctcm and test whether it finds conflicts with 5 6 or 7 in DOS and whether the native setting of the card includes a high DMA. I will try it on my card that has no high DMA to see if I can reset it to have a high DMA. diagnose appears to be telling me that 5, 6 and 7 are all taken.
I might need to disable the onboard parport (I have an MGP card in here) to get 7 free.

David