baslinux - Re: [BL] xdosemu not working in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xdosemu not working in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:39:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

xdosemu
./xdosemu: mkfontdir: command not found

Do you get this on BL2, also?

We just tried dosemu and xdosemu in BL2, where both sort of work

dosemu (in CLI and X) does not produce anything when you type A S or ^
just like in BL3.

xdosemu in X has its own little tricks - the , comes out as < (hitting the shift key does not make it back into ,) and the text is blue on black.
I discovered that xdosemu will not run in 2-bit or 4-it color when I tried to get the color to disappear. At one point the video got so screwed up (what I typed was just off the bottom of the screen, when I exited X there was no cursor, etc.) that I figured out I had to start in 80x25 mode, but it still did not fix the other problems.

We were able to use a DOS CAD program but not to type commas in it.
My partner is trying to make his DOS editor work in dosemu but he needs A and S and , for it to be useful.

I wonder if people only use dosemu to play old DOS games without words.

You do not have the DOSEMU vga font installed and are running remote X.
You need to install the vga font on your _local_ Xserver.
Look at the readme for details. For now we start with an [sic] fixed
font, which does not display all national characters correctly.
... be warned

ERROR: X: Unable to open font "vga"...

You may be able to add an entry for "vga" to fonts.alias.

But I don't think that this is the problem.

/dosemu/freedos/../bin/dosemu.bin: relocation error:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: _xstat

Do you get _this_ particular error on BL2? If not, are you
using the same libraries as in BL2? You will probably need to
install the Slackware 7.1 Xlibs for this to work and not give
an undefined symbol error.

I don't get these errors in BL2, just in BL3, so I was hoping there is some file that needs to be added, or a symlink to vga or something, rather than a broken Xlib in BL3, for which this version of dosemu was compiled.
Maybe Steven can figure this out.

David