baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:20:48 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 01:27:38 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> Did you get anything to work at all?
> >
> > Only Timidity.
>

> > I couldn't get Jazz to compile. I think I got Brahms to configure,
> > but I have failed to find a way to compile it. I did get RoseGarden to
> > compile on SW9.1, but it is not fully functional even there.
>
> Would you like help compiling one or more of these? (Not from me, but
> maybe Steven or Stephen or David).

Thanks, but no.

> Which would you find most useful?
> Which one looks simplest (smallest source code, fewest subdirectories)?

To explain: I am trying to get all sorts of software to configure/compile
and to work. Not always because I have to have the software, but because I
am interested in the process, and in seeing other approaches.

I already have MIDI sequencing software that suits my needs, as well as
stuff for conversion between MIDI, MP3, OGG and MOD.

> I was reading about Lilypond, a music typesetter (used to make sheet music
> files), and some midi sequencers (used to make midi files, right?).

It requires some stuff I haven't got, so I won't bother with it. I already
have a couple of progs that will set and print sheet music.

> > I am not interested in tracker-type applications, so I haven't
> > bothered with those, and I do not have a MIDI add-on keyboard.
>
> Is that were you see a bouncing ball?

No. Tracker-type sequencers use alpha-numeric characters to represent
the notes, as opposed to a graphical staff on which you place notes with the
mouse, which is my preferred method (being the equivalent of writing music
with pencil and blank music score pages).

> A friend has a Roland piano which
> actually does display the score as it plays the notes, with a bouncing
> ball over the note begin played.

I have a MIDI sequencer for Win3.1 that does something similar (as an
option).

Regards,
Ron

--