baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:39:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org

> David Moberg wrote:
> >
> > > ==================================================================
> > > Requested audio codec family [racook] (afm=realaud) not available.
> > > Enable it at compilation.
> > > Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6B6F6F63.
> > > Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
> > > ==================================================================
> >
> > This means that you don't have the racook codec.
>
> So that means your version of mplayer doesn't do Realaudio?

It does and it doesn't. MPlayer can "demux" (i.e. understand the
container format of) Realaudio. MPlayer comes with several codecs
which are used in Real media formats, so it can decode some RA/RV
files correctly, but there are several other codecs used in these
files (like racook) which are not free because Real has not given
anyone the specifications to build a decoder. (The racook codec is
basically a Windows codec with a wrapper around it to allow it to
work on Linux.) Usually, you will not find these codecs distributed
with MPlayer. I have not distributed them either, as the codecs
are very large.

If you can do a little hacking, it may be possible to get these
codecs to work. It's not a sure thing. It may be better to get
the Real player if you want to decode these.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com