baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:31:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> chmod +x 1.sh was needed, then it installed perfectly. I ended up
> with the original mplayer.tgz (which I had renamed back from
> mplayer.tgz) and an mplayer2.tgz, which I installed (and then
> renamed mplayerp1.tgz).
>
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer (this version) is 7MB
> Your first version for PI was 6MB unpacked.

uClibc is smaller. Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite right with
MPlayer on 2.2.16.

> They both act the same when I try to play an mp3 file:
>
> Opening audio decoder:
> MPElib:
> AUDIO:
> Selected audio codec:
> Checking audio filter chain
> AF-pre: af format
> AF_pre: 44100Hz
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound

That does not happen here. I boot with SW 7.1 bare.i and insmod:
soundcore
soundlow
sound
uart401
sb

MPlayer #2 spits out an error message. #1 and #3 both work
fine.

> Mplayer -ao pcm scarlatti.mp3 produces an audiodump.wav which sox plays.
>
> sb16 card on a PI 200MHz. The audio device works with sox. Are
> you sure you compiled for OSS this time?

Does it work with mpg123?

> Are there any logs I can make for you to debug with?

Yes. Please send everything MPlayer says to files (with >stdout 2>stderr)

> If there are any more versions, could you post them under different names?
> And also name the actual executable differently because I want to
> keep the old ones in case the new one does not work (as in the case
> of the first two files, one works on a PI, the other on a PIII, not
> vice versa).

You should not need any version except for #3. It works fine here.

> > Your CPU is fast. My PII needs -vo vesa to get a good display.
>
> What are the symptoms of a bad display?

The drawing goes very slowly. You've already seen the effects on X11.

> Why does -noaspect give you a standard aspect (which I presume is the
> picture that is wider than would be usual on a monitor)? I will read
> the documentation some time soon.

MPlayer makes some strange aspect ratio scalings by default. I don't
know why you need -noaspect. IMO -noaspect looks better.

> What is a DMA and what does it do? (I used to work for the Defense
> Mapping Agency).

DMA = Dynamic Memory Allocation?? It is a way of transferring data
which does not overload the CPU as much as an ordinary transfer. Sound
cards use it for synchronization so that the timing is more accurate.
MPlayer uses it to sync audio and video correctly. play apparently
doesn't need it. Setting it up correctly is tricky. Modern hard drives
use DMA to improve transfer speed.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com