baslinux - Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 00:21:37 +0000 (UTC)

I took the 1.9GB which DOS thought was 503MB and linux thought had 1496 cylinders to a friend who attacked it with Ontrack Disk Manager (a version not specific to any particular drive). He changed the numbers around so cylinders x tracks x head still came out right but cylinders was not 1496 but rather 973 so that DOS could find them all. He deleted the linux partitions and made DOS partitions.

I went it with BL3 fdisk and it was all messed up again. I deleted the DOS partitions, which did not occupy the whole disk) and made a 200MB linux primary partition (200M) but it became 400MB, so I told it 100MB and it made a 200MB partition. Something to do with the numbers having changed.

Anyway, BL3 busybox fdisk is a nice tool but it is not appropriate for repartitioning a drive that has been low-level formatted due to DDO if you want it to behave in DOS, which cannot handle over 1024 cylinders. My friend said it was also messed up in linux and would not have worked for linux but he may be wrong. Now it works in both OS'es.

Is there a free linux disk manager - perhaps 'partition manager' - that could handle this job?

I am trading in my 1.2G DOS drive which DOS programs think is 503MB but which linux fdisk formatted to 1.2G of DOS partitions, which has stopped working properly twice and fixed itself one of those times, for a 1.2G which has no traces of EZ-DRIVE or other DDO on it, after I copy over the software.