baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:34:37 +0000 (UTC)

I put zimage.4dz on the Compaq 486 laptop and it booted and I was able to insmod imm and access the parport zip drive.

I was also able to access it with zimage.486 which Steven compiled.
And the zimage in David's floppy boot disk for parport zip is the zimage.p1 from BL3 and that also worked with imm.

Maybe Steven added imm support to the 486 and p1 kernels? I thought it was missing from the 386 kernel.

I can boot from the floppy disk on a pentium but not on a 486, so I substituted my .4dz kernel and, though it works on the laptop (booting to ext2), when used on the boot disk for parport zip it got stuck at
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX.

I did not have this problem with the P1 kernel (ont he pentium) or with this kernel when booting from the laptop hard drive.

So I substituted zimage.4dx (Steven's kernel) and had the same problem.

I then put the floppy disk and parport cable into a pentium computer and was able to boot to the parport zip drive with this 486 kernel which did NOT work in the laptop from David's boot floppy disk (but did work from the hard drive - I did not test it with a BL2 floppy boot).

So now I have a slightly larger 486 kernel for the laptop (which includes vfat but not ethernet or CD-ROM support). And a parport zip drive boot floppy disk which still only works on a pentium (but does not support CD-ROM or ethernet, which I don't think I need for a demo version or for something used for file transfer).

I looked up the POSIX line and one other person had the same problem with boot stopping there. Several people discussed why this line was still there and whether to remove it from the kernel (the testing). It is normally followed (at least on my pentium and one other person's computer) by PCI: PCI BIOS or some other people had it followed by the line Linux Net4.0. In one case it appears to be a bug in kernel 2.2.13 which does not occur in two 2.0 kernels.

We have my first linux computer (a 486) still set up to test this on.
I knew there had to be a good reason to keep it.